HOME > ABOUT > PARTNERS
We share our profound investment philosophy and value-creating know how accumulated through past numerous successful investment track records of both NHC and our previous operation, Phoenix Capital Co., Ltd. Our long standing experienced team, with knowledgeable advisors, will continue to excel in serving our investment goals.
- Senior Advisor Makoto Isshi
- Prior to Japan Asia Investment Corporation (JAIC), a TSE listed investment enterprise, Mr. Isshi started his business career at Nippon Kokan (NKK, now JFE holdings). At JAIC, Mr. Isshi served as head of the International Division and Post-investment Value Add Division, and he also had wide experience in managing JAIC branch offices in Japan and other countries in Asia. After he became a member of board of directors of JAIC, he initiated to establish Japan Private Equity (JPE), a subsidiary of JAIC, function as CEO and was engaging in buyout and turnaround type of deals. From his career in corporate investment business over the 2 decades, Mr. Isshi has extensive industry experience, as investor and investee, in developing business both in domestic and overseas market.
- CEO Yasushi Ando
- Yasushi Ando is one of the best-known investment managers in the private equity fund industry in Japan. As a founding Managing Partner of Phoenix Capital, he has made Phoenix one of the best private equity funds in Japan in terms of its size and performance. He also served on the board of the companies including Hitachi Housetec, Tokyu Construction, Seiki-Tokyu Ind., TEAC Corp., Gold-Pak, and Mitsubishi Motors. He is well-known for his unique approach in improving company performance.
Before founding Phoenix Capital, Mr. Ando served as Chief Manager of the Investment Banking Division at the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, where he took a leading role in promoting the bank’s international investment banking business. He also has ten years of international commercial banking business experience, as well as five years’ experience in trading.
Mr. Ando holds a bachelor’s degree in Economics from the University of Tokyo and an MBA from the University of Chicago.
＜Cases as a keyman＞
Alphatec Solutions Co., Ltd., Fudo Construction Co., Ltd., Ichida Co., Ltd., Kaijo Corporation., Kenken Co., Ltd., Kinsho Store Pare Co., Ltd., Myodo Metal Co., Ltd., Sokkia Co., Ltd., Takisawa Machine Tool Co., Ltd., Teac Corp., Tsu-Matsubishi Co., Ltd., Tsumura & Co., etc.
- COO Kazutoshi Todo
- Mr. Todo has over 30 years of experience in Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (formerly know as The Mitsubishi Bank) and held several managerial roles in the bank’s Economic and Industry Research division, Corporate Finance division, and Financial Institutions division, including the Corporate Banking officer at Hong Kong Branch. He also has an experience serving for the Ministry of International Trade and Industry as a Senior Economist. Since Joining NHC as senior advisor in 2016, he had also served as CEO in Mag2, Inc. until September 2017. He has assumed the position of COO in NHC since November 2017. Mr. Todo holds a BA degree in Law from University of Tokyo.
- Joint COO Keizo Kaneko
- Mr. Kaneko started his carrier at one of the largest accounting firms in 1987 and conducted audits on corporations. Then, he was involved in various M&A transactions as an M&A advisor first at Investment Banking group of Daiwa Securities Co. Ltd from 1990 and at Investment Banking Division of Mitsubishi UFJ Securities Co. Ltd. . Since joining NHC in 2007, he has served on the board of Houstec, Inc., where he supervised CFO to lead management and governance reforms and promote manifestation of corporate values. He graduated from the Faculty of Science, Chiba University and is a certified public accountant.
- Executive Partner Naoko Hatakeyama
- Prior to joining Phoenix Capital in 2005, Ms. Hatakeyama engaged in corporate recovery and strategy consulting as a founding partner of the Corporate Strategy Group of Deloitte Touche Group. Before that she was a partner at Deloitte Touche Consulting Group (DTCG) when Braxton Consulting, a Boston-based strategy consulting firm where she started her consultant career in 1983, merged with DTCG. Ms. Hatakeyama holds a Masters degree in counseling and consulting psychology from Harvard University Education School.
- Partner Yoichiro Kurosawa
- Mr. Kurosawa has 25 years of experience in and around the private equity investment business, both as an investor and as part of an investee’s management team. As a Managing Director at Phoenix Capital, he has engaged in management support for investee companies as a member of the board or corporate rehabilitation committee. Prior to that, he was with JAFCO, a private equity investment group, including five years at its San Francisco and Palo Alto operations. Mr. Kurosawa holds a BA degree from Sophia University, a Masters degree in Sustainable Technologies from Tohoku University where he obtained a Program Officer on Environment certificate, and an MBA from Keio University.
- Partner Wataru Kojima
- Mr. Kojima started his career at the Investment Banking Division of JP Morgan, where he experienced corporate finance and M&A advisory businessese both in Tokyo and New York Offices. Then, he moved to the Private Equity Division at Deutsche Securities Tokyo before joining a Japanese domestic PE firm, Phoenix Capital. With multiple investment experiences, he joined NHC in 2008 and developed overseas business expansion/alliance activities of Housetec Inc. He holds a BA from Bucknell University.
- Partner Ryuji Sato
- Prior to Joining NHC, Mr. Sato worked for a major accounting firm over 10 years and has experience in auditing corporations, M&A advisory as well as advisory on IPO. Joined NHC in 2006 at the inception, Mr. Sato leads the firm’s finance, administrative legal and compliance activities. He has also engaged in corporate turnaround support at the investment in Housetec, Inc., as an external board member. Mr. Sato holds a BA degree in Law from Meiji University and is a Certified Public Accountant in Japan.
- Partner Yuka Katsuki
- Ms. Katsuki started her private equity career at 3i Asia Pacific in 1999 and since has been involved in various aspects of the private equity business. She also has had experience as an investment manager at FoF and has been part of an investee’s management team. She joined Phoenix Capital in 2004. Prior to that, she worked at global investment banks such as First Boston and Deutche Bank in the corporate financing as well as in bond trading. Ms. Katsuki holds a BA degree from Waseda University and a MBA from London Business School, and is an Attorney at Law in Japan.
- Partner (non-executive) Tokusuke Shin
- Mr. Shin worked on advisory operations such as accounting audits of listed companies, M&A, corporate recovery, etc. at KPMG. In 2004, he joined Phoenix Capital Co., Ltd. and took office as a director. He was involved in the support of investees as a member of the business rehabilitation committee of Mitsubishi Motors Corp., etc. He also supported global negotiations, etc. As the person in charge on the fund side, he has guided the management of Gold-Pak Co., Ltd. and led the project to list the company and succeeded in listing it on JASDAQ securities exchange in 2006. He graduated from the Faculty of Economics and Commerce, Melbourne University and is a certified public accountant.
- Expert in medium and small corporate finance
- Takaharu Kimura
- Specialized in corporate rehabilitation
- Yasushi Shimosaka
- Specialized in international taxation
- Toru Suda
- Expert in Chinese tax and accounting
- Cheng Li
- Expert in international business law
- Akira Yamada
in alphabetical order